Our Secret Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our Secret Place

Girls only

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Favorite Books

Go down 
+3
hummer
Shelia
Percymac95
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Percymac95

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Favorite Books   Favorite Books I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 12:56 am

I just read in the topic "Cars," about Mable reading a Dorothy Garlock book. I'd love to hear what y'all are reading.
I love to read! Mable introduced me to some good authors. One especially good was Fern Michaels.
I love mysteries best, but like adventure and other types, too. I just finished a very good one, Two Rivers, by T. Greenwood. It's a bit of a mystery and a love story. I also finished Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah -- about two girlfriends, opposite personalities, who go through life together. It was also good.
What are your favorites?
One of mine was Murder in Coweata County by Margaret Ann Barnes. It took place in GA and Mable's dad even talked to the murderer before he was caught.
Back to top Go down
Shelia

Shelia

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 1:19 am

I was a James Patterson fan BIG TIME. Any book I could get my hands on I read cover to cover without putting it down. A few I didn't like, I thought the co authors messed with his original ideas during the writing.

Then I found out he doesn't even write his own books !!!

He outlines a story and gives it to someone else to finish. I was very upset and quit reading his stuff. No wonder he churned them out weekly.

I have 3 James Lee Burke books I have yet to open. I'm saving them for right now but I'm itching to begin my love affair with his writing.
Back to top Go down
hummer

hummer

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 1:21 am

I'm a reader but I'm more into crime/drama/espionage stuff.

Nelson DeMille, Dale Brown are current favorites.

Fern Michaels lives in my area, one of my friends claims to know her.
Back to top Go down
Debu

Debu

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 2:11 am

I just finished "The Hissy Fit" by Mary Kay Andrews and LOVED it. My mom listened to the audio version while in the hospital and told me to get it. Y'all need to check it out.

I read The Secret Life of Bees recently too, and it was great.
Back to top Go down
Maboe Shortt

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 3:28 am

My daughter has read all those Mary Kay Andrews books...She's almost a speed reader. But since she's been having trouble with her eyes she's been listening to books. Now that she's had both eyes repaired maybe she can get back to reading for fun. I think I've read HissyFit too...I've read a lot of her books...
Another writer I like is Anne B Ross...she writes the Miss Julia series...they're funny and a really fast read.Miss Julia in the first book reminded me so much of my Mamas' thoughts about things.
I just finished that Dorothy Garlock Leaving Whiskey Bend.
Back to top Go down
Rosie

Rosie

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 8:46 am

I am a zealot about reading!!

I love mysteries and fiction about the old west, immigration and Ellis Island, and civil war time and stories set during the depression era.

I read most anything really but sci-fi and fantasy.

I finished a book last night called One Foot In Eden by Ron Rash and it was ok. I read a few others of his that I really liked. I get to pick out a book tonight to start.

So many choices. I have, I am ashamed to say, 74 books in my to-be-read stack!!

Shelia--you are going to love JLB's books. I have read all of his but one. I do have it in my TBR stack. Maybe I will start that one--I heard it was his first book. Halfway to Paradise, I believe it is called.

Debu--I started Secret Life of Bees and hated it. But everyone else likes it so well that I thought I would give it a try again. I still have it.

I used to love James Patterson too but his books started to seem all alike.

Anyone read Patricia Cornwell?
Back to top Go down
Percymac95

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: James Lee Burke   Favorite Books I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 9:01 am

That's exciting. I'd like to see her in person. I do know someone who knows John Grisham and he has dedicated some of his books to her husband, now deceased. they were friends.

I love JLB's books about the Cajun detective! I think a few have been made into movies.
He's funny and always mentions some good places to eat in New orleans.

"3 James Lee Burke books I have yet to open. I'm saving them for right now but I'm itching to begin my love affair with his writing."
Back to top Go down
hummer

hummer

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 10:24 am

I don't like Patricia Cornwell. I've read several of hers and always ask myself WHY afterward! Scarpetta is cold and the men in her stories are either slobs or fuddyduds.

I need to check out JLB
Back to top Go down
Rosie

Rosie

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 12:39 pm

I loved the earlier Scarpetta books. The more recent ones are just too weird and "out there"

I read her latest and it seems to me that Cornwelll might "retire" Kay and bring in Lucy, her niece. Her recent books had alot of Lucy in them and the last one was totally about Lucy. Also, a new character was introduced whom I can see as becoming part of the "team".

I dont look forward to her books anymore.
Back to top Go down
Shelia

Shelia

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 12:58 pm

In the Electric Mist.

I'm waiting to view this movie before I start reading any JLB books.

AHHHH, my Cajun people. I'm in Louisiana amongst northern yankeee drawl.

What is this displaced Cajun to do. Her do not fit in. Sad

I ordered a book recently but have not received it. I don't know what the holdup is. Printing to order maybe ???

Dead Family Walking.

I don't know if I should read it. I suspect it will upset me. I paid $20 for a special order. I'm afraid I may want to contact family but I don't want to.

I hate being so cryptic but it is what it is.
Back to top Go down
Percymac95

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Dead Family Walking   Favorite Books I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 1:25 am

Sheila,
ha ha Dead Family Walking sounds good!
When I lived in Atlanta, I read In Cold Blood and had nightmares for weeks. Even the movie scared me. At one time I couldn't get enough of real crime stories.
Back to top Go down
Shelia

Shelia

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 2:40 am

In Cold Blood is my favorite movie.

I watch it anytime it plays.

The book is much better.
Back to top Go down
Emily

Emily

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 3:24 am

Percymac95 wrote:
Sheila,
ha ha Dead Family Walking sounds good!
When I lived in Atlanta, I read In Cold Blood and had nightmares for weeks. Even the movie scared me. At one time I couldn't get enough of real crime stories.

Janice: Where did you live in Atlanta? I lived in Woodstock from 1997 to 2001.

I love true crime books, especially ones that are about crimes in places I've lived or visited. I don't read as much as I would like but if I find a good book I can't put it down.
Back to top Go down
Rosie

Rosie

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 9:58 am

In the Electric Mist.

I'm waiting to view this movie before I start reading any JLB books.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I just saw that this weekend. Tommy Lee Jones was Dave Robicheaux. It is really not much like the book --some parts are, but he writes in so much detail and with such "flavor" ( did I really say that???!!) that it would be impossible to create it all in a movie. And it is missing a few characters which really made the book better.

Heaven's Prisoners was made into a book with Alec Baldwin as Dave Robicheaux. I liked him better as Dave although Tommy Lee wasnt bad
I visualize Alec now when I read about Dave LOL
Back to top Go down
Shelia

Shelia

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 11:45 am

Was the movie any good ???

There was a red carpet affair held in New Iberia and they loved it but you know how locals like to kiss butt. Very Happy

If it's worth watching I'll rent it. If the book is better I'll read it instead.
Back to top Go down
Percymac95

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Atlanta   Favorite Books I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 6:46 am

Sheila, I lived in Mableton and Austell (west suburb), Smyrna, and Mariettana. I always lived in apartments -- The Windmill Apartments in Marietta. I had relatives in Mableton and College Park, and a grandmother in East Point. I also had many relatives in LaGrange, south of Atlanta. I taught at Lindley Junior High in Mableton (east of Austell)

I've forgotten where Woodstock is -- is that north of Atlanta or over toward Macon? I lived in that area before I moved the the Gulf Coast in 1968. I taught at Lindley Junior High IA bunch of us used to go to the airport on Sunday afternoons and watch people arriving and departing. We used to go downtown to the churches, too -- loved it. Love Rich's and Davidson's Department stores, especially during Christmas!

Where did you live in Atlanta? I lived in Woodstock from 1997 to 2001.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite Books
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Secret Place :: Your first category :: Your first forum-
Jump to: