Our Secret Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our Secret Place

Girls only

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Can you help us out ???

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Shelia

Shelia

Can you help us out ??? Empty
PostSubject: Can you help us out ???   Can you help us out ??? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 5:49 am

Parents Urged To Give $500 Per Child To Save Teaching Positions
School Leaders Retract Letter With Phone Call

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- An Orange County principal on Thursday sent a letter to parents, asking them to contribute $500 per student to help his school save teachers' jobs amid massive budget cuts.

Trevor Honohan, the principal at Audubon Park Elementary School, sent the two-page letter, which also offered parents the ability to purchase naming rights to classrooms, office spaces or general areas inside the school for a minimum of $10,000.

In the letter, Honohan said, "my solution is simple but at the same time it will not be easy to achieve. I am asking for a financial contribution from those families who are in the position to do so."

Honohan said he's written a check for $1,000 to cover his two children.

Honohan said the goal is to raise $500,000, which he claims would save at least eight teaching positions.

Parents were given "Honohan's Hero" pledge cards and asked to return them within five days.

After learning that Honohan sent the letter, school leaders decided late Thursday to have the principal send telephone messages to the parents of Audubon Park's 875 students, telling them to disregard the letter.

The phone message stated:

"Hello, this is Trevor Honohan, Principal at Audubon Park Elementary School. The purpose of this phone call is to inform you that I included some premature information in my letter home to you on March 12th. In the letter I informed you that the proposed budget for the 2009-2010 school year would be at least $500,000 less than it was in 2008-2009. I have not received my formal budget yet. Therefore I cannot make this assumption. I also indicated a possibility of re-naming the school.

"This may not be a possibility at this time.

"The goal of the letter was to inform you of the budget crisis and gauge your interest level in assisting the school if need be. I appreciate the positive responses I have received and want to clear up any misconceptions derived from the letter. Thank you all for your continued support.

"Have a great night."

Prior to news of the letter being sent out, Local 6 News on Thursday afternoon talked with Orange County Superintendent Ron Blocker, who urged lawmakers to consider dropping sales tax exemptions, which could help raise at least $224 million for schools.

"These are times when you have to stop thinking about the vote and start thinking about the impact you're going to have on the state, the next generation, the next 10 years," Blocker said.

Positive responses. LOL, that's not what I read.

Every state INCLUDING Florida that has a lottery promised it's people lower taxes for schools IF they would pass the lottery proposal. It passed. What happened to that money ??? Well instead of putting it into an EDUCATION FUND, the city leaders put it in a GENERAL FUND where they bled it dry on anything and everything they wanted.

The nerve.
Back to top Go down
Maboe Shortt

PostSubject: Re: Can you help us out ???   Can you help us out ??? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 6:25 am

Like everybody isn't already paying their part and more . The nerve of them sending out letters like that. They (kids) already have to take in community supplies or the teachers are buying the stuff out of their pockets...In Va. they keep saying the lottery is supposed to help education...but for some reason they don't have the money here in Roanoke to keep all the schools open. But they do have the money to order studies on having a new museum built to the tune of $250,000...and that's just to study the feasibility of building the darn arts museum. .
Back to top Go down
Shelia

Shelia

PostSubject: Re: Can you help us out ???   Can you help us out ??? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 6:58 am

Yeah, I always get a kick out of studies. And the city planner.

My God, I've seen more money piddled away ordering city planners everywhere we've lived. That money always ends up missing or lost.

Funny how we the tax payers have to fork it over, live on a budget and do without while some think money grows on trees.

If you give it they will waste it. ALWAYS.
Back to top Go down
hummer

hummer

PostSubject: Re: Can you help us out ???   Can you help us out ??? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 10:26 am

$500,000 for 8 teachers. That's 62,500 per. Wonder how much of that is teacher salary, does that include benefit pay? I'll bet not.

Did you see where the NC judge ordered a mom to stop homeschooling her children and send them to public shool? Mom and Dad are divorced, Mom's been teaching the kids for years and they tested 2 grade levels ahead. The problem according to the judge? She bases her teaching on a Christian philosophy! Kid you not.

I've got 2000 rounds for my AR-15 and gonna buy 2000 more. It's getting that bad.
Back to top Go down
Emily

Emily

PostSubject: Re: Can you help us out ???   Can you help us out ??? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 1:22 pm

Quote :
I've got 2000 rounds for my AR-15 and gonna buy 2000 more. It's getting that bad.

Dan just bought an AR-15 and then he ordered ammo and magazines for it and for no other reason than Obama was elected.

He says we must be prepared. It's scary.
Back to top Go down
Shelia

Shelia

PostSubject: Re: Can you help us out ???   Can you help us out ??? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 2:01 pm

We are armed and not afraid. Pissed but not afraid.

This country is going to shit and no one gives a damn. What are we supposed to do ??? Sit back and let it happen ???

Gawd I'm getting so radical in my thinking. If the Catholic church weren't so crappy and money hungry I'd think about going back.

Right now everyone's looking for a buck. I'm looking for people who believe as I do, are willing to stick together, help one another be it politically or inspirationally.

a little Jesus might be in order.
Back to top Go down
Shelia

Shelia

PostSubject: Re: Can you help us out ???   Can you help us out ??? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 3:32 pm

When Ashley was teaching, anything she bought out of her own pocket was reimbursed for more than she actually spent. All she did was fill out an expense report and the principal signed it. She went on school supply shopping trips like you would not believe. If she got something for the classroom or kids, she got another for herself. She had bags of stuff in a spare room at their home. Lots of places she shopped offered teacher discounts.

She also got little raises along the way as she completed certain teaching courses. A second year special ed teacher teaching maybe 8 kids 3 hours a day working 5 days a week she made close to $40,000 a year. Starting administrator salaries were $75 - $100,000 a year. Good medical, eye and dental insurance. Covered chiropractor and therapist too. Not bad what she paid for herself but to add Jonathan was sky high. She didn't.

She was given a laptop, free printer ink, a printer/scanner. She was told to write it off as things she needed for work. All she did was sign it out and she kept it.

She also taught at an all black school. The money flowed, student performances were bad, teacher evaluations passed as long as one teacher succeeded. The kids were pushed through to higher grades because they weren't allowed to keep them after a certain time. This was an elementary school .

She'd be given $500 to spend on books and things for her classroom every 3 months. It got to where she couldn't think of anything to buy so she ordered these big play rugs and toys. Her principal would tell her to try and spend it all because if she didn't they wouldn't get more. She gave me tons of learning/toy catalogs so I could buy stuff for Aiden. She used them once and more would come so she just started bringing them to our house.

There was stealing going on, wasted time, teachers sleeping during class. One day some kids went to her classroom to tell her their teacher had died. She ran in the room only to find the woman asleep with her head back and mouth wide open. It happened more than once.

She told me they offered early retirement to one teacher because she smelled so bad no one wanted to get near her not even the kids. She was so big she had one of those scooters to get around. After she left it took 3 weeks just to air out her room. Ashley got it. She put chlorox wipes in the vents just to handle being in the room. She got the janitor to mop it down then she sprayed cans of febreeze to kill the smell.

They had to replace the window air conditioning unit because the smell was in there.

I didn't believe it until Jonathan went one day to help her put up shelves. He said he gagged.

Oh and the school was about to get a makeover to the tune of 2 million dollars because termites ate through an awning. I wonder how padded that job was.

She also made very good money teaching summer school. Half days, 4 days a week, $4000. She used that money to buy her new school wardrobe. She got half when she started the rest when she finished.

I know it's not like that at other schools but it was there. An underperforming black inner city school getting money in buckets for everyone to waste. It was and is wrong.

Go look at the Clinton schools where we lived. Those schools get super high marks, recognition, money well spent, graduation rates very high, lot of parental involvement. That's what should be rewarded not the failing schools.

I have no problem giving good schools extra. Poor failing schools and teachers, no.
Back to top Go down
Rosie

Rosie

PostSubject: Re: Can you help us out ???   Can you help us out ??? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 1:19 am

my friend is a gun dealer....not handguns but the big stuff
and he told me he is selling hand over fist.
He predicts there will be shooting in the streets by summer.
It seems it has already started ...Sad

http://wellcoarms.com/Home_Page.php his online store
Back to top Go down
Maboe Shortt

PostSubject: Re: Can you help us out ???   Can you help us out ??? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 2:25 am

Rosie wrote:
my friend is a gun dealer....not handguns but the big stuff
and he told me he is selling hand over fist.
He predicts there will be shooting in the streets by summer.
It seems it has already started ...Sad

http://wellcoarms.com/Home_Page.php his online store

My neighbors who have guns said way back before he was elected that they were keeping their guns and ammo well stocked...they said it was going to be bad ...
Look at all the shootings in the last three weeks. They say they're for no apparent reason...But I'd be willing to bet that the apparent reason is the president himself...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can you help us out ???   Can you help us out ??? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can you help us out ???
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Secret Place :: Your first category :: Your first forum-
Jump to: