Our Secret Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our Secret Place

Girls only

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Excuse my ignorance

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Shelia

Shelia

Excuse my ignorance Empty
PostSubject: Excuse my ignorance   Excuse my ignorance I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 12:52 pm

I saw something today that stumped me.

A woman about 60ish wearing a white kerchief pinned down behind her ears, in a white ankle length dress with an aqua blue flower print puffy sleeves, frilly apron front matching the dress, 3/4 black boots and socks.

I know it sounds weird, she was not a nun but I'm curious to find out exactly what she was. Quaker ???? She was in Walmart.

It reminded me of the Amish women but not as severe. She had short gray hair under her starched white kerchief.

An unusual sight, I'm curious. Do any of you know ????

She's not the first I've seen in this area.
Back to top Go down
Rosie

Rosie

PostSubject: Re: Excuse my ignorance   Excuse my ignorance I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 1:48 pm

Maybe Quaker or Mennonite Amish

the Amish have many sects which vary in their severity

we have alot of Amish around here and she does sound like some sort of Amish to me

they shop at Walmart here too LOL
Back to top Go down
Maboe Shortt

PostSubject: Re: Excuse my ignorance   Excuse my ignorance I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 9:38 pm

We have German Baptist( Dunkards) here..they're a lot like the Mennonite Amish people but the women do wear colorful dresses...they have a little white hat thing they wear in the summer time and a black one in the winter. Their coats are black..The men wear the flat style hats and have beards and used to wear home made pants but I think they have found some black dickies in the last several years...There are different orders of them also. The German Baptist , Amish and Mennonites and Quakers are all very good workers and can really produce the food...and it's clean food too. They have a church building they built but they don't have a "pastor" A lot of the older men are "Elders" and I think they are the pastors...Around here they make very good neighbors. These here have a store where they sell their stuff and I love to go there just to sit in the car and listen to what ever is going on out there...Reminds me of going to South Ga. when I was little hearing the chickens cackling and stuff.
Back to top Go down
Shelia

Shelia

PostSubject: Re: Excuse my ignorance   Excuse my ignorance I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 2:13 am

I looked up Amish Mennonite and sure nuff there was the dress.

What caught my eye first was the style. It was old fashioned, you don't see that often. The workmanship of her dress was expert. Whoever made it is an excellent seamstress.

I didn't know Amish people shopped in regular stores especially Walmart.

Thank you for the information. I didn't stare at her. I found her interesting.

I'll do some looking and see where they live around here.
Back to top Go down
Maboe Shortt

PostSubject: Re: Excuse my ignorance   Excuse my ignorance I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 3:00 am

They are excellent seamstresses...They make all their own clothes plus everything for their kids. Here the German Baptist girls only go to the 8th grade unless they have a burning desire to become a teacher or doctor or something where they help people. The boys too usually leave school after the 8th grade. They can build anything and the women can make anything and all of them can do anything they set their minds to. I find a lot of those same traits in the Duggars. They make their clothes a lot ...when that one older boy just got married his 3 or 4 older sisters went to his brides house and made her dress along with all the brides maids dresses and in a weeks time. They work together and get it done. To me it's refreshing to see something like that in families today. I don't agree with everything they(Duggars) do but they're not on welfare and they don't go into debt.
Back to top Go down
Emily

Emily

PostSubject: Lots of Good Information and Pictures   Excuse my ignorance I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 4:41 am

Definitely sounds Amish.

Amish kids went to our school and it was pretty funny that the summer after the 8th grade, some of them would come back to school looking like normal kids and not with all the Amish garb.

They were called "jerked over Amish."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumspringa

When I was married to Bill he covered high school basketball games kinda out in the boonies in LaGrange County, Indiana and I remember leaving one of those games at a school where there were a lot of Amish kids and there must have been hundreds of Amish kids in their Amish garb standing in a group and all smoking cigarettes.

Amish people:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15239576@N00/611972027/

A picture of an Amish buggy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cindy47452/98394033/

A lot of Amish buggies
http://www.flickr.com/photos/somebunnyslovedotcom/265076039/
Back to top Go down
Shelia

Shelia

PostSubject: Re: Excuse my ignorance   Excuse my ignorance I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 5:56 am

This was my first time seeing an Amish woman in person.

I found a picture

Excuse my ignorance Dawnandme1

She looked exactly like the woman on the left. Her dress had a frilly apron on it matching her dress.

Sorry the picture came out so big.

I'm reading there is a large number of Mennonites in the Bossier City area. That's where I saw her.

Truth ??? I found her much more respectful in her clothing than most I see in the stores. Around here they like to show ta tas. I find it rather disgusting to display yourself like that.

I'm a bit old fashioned. I do not think a woman should dress like a hooker.

You should see the military wives around here. Straight up trashy.
Back to top Go down
Rosie

Rosie

PostSubject: Re: Excuse my ignorance   Excuse my ignorance I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 10:26 am

she has to be Amish. They have the most beautiful complexions....they have a healthy diet.

There used to be a reality show about some Amish kids going to the big city. It was pretty funny.

My dad went to college with an Amish guy whose family shunned him cus he went to college and married out of the faith. He was estranged from them for a long time but eventually they reconciled. His family wouldnt visit his "worldly" home so he would visit theirs.

Man can they cook!
Back to top Go down
Shelia

Shelia

PostSubject: Re: Excuse my ignorance   Excuse my ignorance I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 10:37 am

You're right about their complexions. Skin so smooth and flushed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Excuse my ignorance   Excuse my ignorance I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Excuse my ignorance
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Secret Place :: Your first category :: Your first forum-
Jump to: